Friday, May 4, 2012

Neumann TLM 103

I work with the Neumann TLM 103 quite a bit, and I'm a big fan of this microphone. It's obvious that Neumann paid careful attention to the details in the mechanical and electrical design of the TLM 103.


For a recent voice-over session I engineered, voice talent was recorded in English, Spanish and French for the audio tour at Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art's Monet exhibit. The TLM 103 picks up the finest details with little to no coloration. The recordings have a nice warmth and fullness to them. What strikes me the most is the exceptional sense of clarity from the TLM 103.

I've also been plugging the TLM 103 directly into the Alesis MasterControl at my workstation and recording my voice at 192 kHz for sound design. Works fantastic and has been the foundation for a lot of stuff before processing and layering.

This is a great mic! Especially considering the cost, but I definitely recommend getting an equally good preamp as well. Here is an in-depth review from Sound On Sound.


No comments:

Post a Comment