Sunday, May 6, 2012

Granular Synthesis Experimentation

I've spent my fair share of time with instruments in Avid Pro Tools such as Xpand! and Structure. Now that I heavily use Steinberg software on a more frequent basis, I'm finding that there are some truly fantastic instruments right at my fingertips. HALion is amazing, but one instrument in particular that I've been getting familiar with in my free time is Padshop.



The user interface is for this granular synth is great. Padshop has two independent layers that can be individually mixed and edited with effects and filters plus other parameters you can tweak to create unique sound combinations. Also it comes with a ridiculous amount of presets and samples!



What is fun about experimentation is the creative freedom you get when you're not trying to conceptualize a particular sound or bound by deadlines. Padshop has a lot of versatility, and I could definitely see myself turn to this in a situation where I need to create an ambiance or atmospheric effect. Here is a good tutorial video and if you're interested in granular synthesis like me, definitely check out Padshop.




No comments:

Post a Comment