Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Implosion Recording

The old Flamingo parking garage behind O'Sheas on Las Vegas Blvd was scheduled to be demolished at 2:30am on May 1st. I found out about it late in the evening, but of course I was staying up to not miss out on this opportunity. 
I took the Rode NT4 over the matched pair of Line CM3s because the NT4 has a higher max SPL. I knew that there was going to only be one shot at capturing such a loud sound, so I put the limiter on the Sound Devices MixPre and hoped for the best.
On a separate note, it was funny to see puzzled looks and hear drunk comments from people on the strip as I walked along with recording gear. Eventually after talking with security shutting down the area around the site, I was able to get as close as the local media across the Blvd to record the implosion.


This is my raw recording of the implosion:



The amount of dust was crazy!


Here is a cool video of the implosion from a spot above and behind the parking garage. Wish I could have set up to record from this position!


No comments:

Post a Comment